Monday, August 3, 2009

My How The Garden Grows!

So in May we decided to plan ourselves a little garden, well let me back up! We bought ourselves some seeds in April and started trying to do in indoor germination. Ha..this turned out to be a nightmare! We did finally get some to sprout, but after we placed them outside in the little mini green house we lost ALL of them to the WIND! I suppose that comes with our lack of gardening and paying attention to all the elements mother nature has to offer us. Anyway early May we made ourselves a small little garden space outside and bough some mini plants to pop in the ground. We planted strawberries, 2 different kinds of tomatos, anaheim peppers, bell peppers, watermelon and cantaloupe. There was a late freeze and we lost both cantaloupe and 1 of our 2 watermelon plants. In early June, we popped a few pumpkin seeds in the ground in place of those lost plants. To date, the strawberries have pretty much been laid to rest although the rest of the plants are thriving. Our one remaining watermelon is growing finally after that little freeze we nursed it through, no fruit has sprouted but the plant itself looks good. The pumpkins are amazing, the leaves are HUGE! We love our anaheim pepper plants and will grow these yearly! They taste so good and each plant produces numerous peppers so well worth it! We were pretty disappointed with the bell peppers as each plant has only produced one pepper and small peppers at that. The early girl tomatoes which are like a cherry tomatoe plant are doing great! They taste so good! The big beef tomatoes have a lot of big green tomatoes growing and we can't wait until these are ripe for the eating! We have had fun trying out our green thumbs and at least now we know we have the ability to grow things! I got a few pictures this morning when I was in the garden...
Here is a shot of the entire garden, it's small, but great! The weeds on the outside of the bed are crazy, but the garden itself has none!
Photobucket
Here are the crazy pumpkin leaves..
Photobucket
And the first sprouted pumpkin!
Photobucket
Anaheim Pepper
Photobucket
Our thriving tomatoe plants
Photobucket
Some of the yummy cherry tomatoes
Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your garden is great. Expecially since it is your first one. Dawna would be so proud!!

Laurie

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

Hey, My mom told me to tell you to cut the end of the growing vine of your squash/pumpkin plant, after several nice pumkins/squash have set on. She said this will help the ones you do have get bigger and do better rather then having the plant put all of its energy and nutrients into the growing vine. Make sense? If not I will see you in the next couple of days:) Everything looks awesome!! Great work!

Elissa said...

Good for you! I've been trying to do the gardening thing too. As soon as I got a couple of small strawberries, the ants ate the ENTIRE plant. Then my dog ate my basil etc, and I have nothing to show for any of it. hahaha. Oh well.

Chris and Nichole said...

Great job!! I didn't do anything this year :( but I'm all over it for next year,lol!

Dawna Greer said...

I am totally impressed with your garden--it looks wonderful! Makes me wish I had planted a garden this year. I really miss my greenhouse as it made it a lot easier to grow (and ripen) tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. I have lots of perennial flowers you can come get starts of if you want.